LIFE project 2012-2015
Lochaber Environmental Group has once again received funding from the Climate Challenge fund for the LIFE project 2012-2015. The project will build on the work done during the previous LIFE project (2011-2012) and the RENEW project before that.
The overarching aim of the project will be to empower Lochaber residents to address fuel and energy issues to reduce carbon emissions, which will ultimately lower fuel bills and create warmer homes.
This will be achieved through-
- Free thermal imaging surveys of households to identify where they could be better insulated or draft proofed
- A loan of an energy monitor and energy action pack to participating households so that they can better understand where they are using/wasting energy
- Local energy/DIY insulation workshop events so that Lochaber residents know how to implement energy efficient techniques
- Fuel efficient driver training sessions in conjunction with the Energy Saving Trust
- Educational sessions in Lochaber schools
- Free information regarding renewable technologies, grant or incentive schemes and suppliers within the Lochaber area
- A renewable energy fair
In order to achieve the above the project will require the assistance of local Energy Champions- individuals or groups who are willing to work within their community on a voluntary basis. The LIFE project Energy Champions will be expected to act as a locally based connection between the LIFE project and the community. They will assist the project by undertaking thermal imaging surveys and assisting home owners with installing the OWL energy monitors.
It is also hoped that the Energy Champions will become inspired to take ‘ownership’ of the energy issues within their locality, perhaps creating a locally relevant ‘energy toolkit’ from the data collected and/or running more energy workshops. If this were to happen the LIFE project would offer support and financial assistance where possible.
For more information about what being an Energy Champion would involve please click here.
If you are interested in having a thermal image survey done on your house, undertaking an energy use survey or partaking in a fuel efficient driving session to understand how you could save money please get in touch.
Additionally if you are considering installing renewable technologies or are a local micro-renewable installer we would love to hear from you.
As the project develops, more information will be made available via these webpages- such as dates for events, what areas we are currently surveying in or updates on the progress of the project- so please do keep coming back to see what we are up to. Alternatively keep up to date by following us on Twitter or via our Facebook page.